5 days / 4 nights with rental car from Edinburgh to Isle of Skye and return in blizzards and on icy roads in the Scottish Highlands.
• Super cheap Ryan Air tickets and Easirent car rental (see last photo in album for prices in USD – CPH-EDI was 4GBP each person..)
• Driving in the worst conditions I have ever driven in (in 50+ countries with self drive rental car/MC) – 2 x 8 hours driving in two days plus time spent sightseeing..
• Three (very) near collisions..
• Visiting Talisker distillery and Neist Point Lighthouse (‘Neist Point’ is both a lighthouse and a very expensive talisker Whisky 150GBP for a small bottle). Almost not getting to the lighthouse because of steep icy roads leading up there – and having Charlotte to push the car and leaving her to run up 500 meters of steep icy roads since I didn’t dare stop after I got our Peugeot rolling..
• Staying at Greshornish Country House Hotel at Loch Snizort Beag – Chesterfield, Whisky, Haggis, Snooker, Fireplaces and old Bakelite phones – the life.
• Driving around the Quiraing on an impossibly beautiful winters day – and giving up going to the hiking trail (since the cross country mountain road leading to it was closed due to ice)
• Climbing “Old Man of Storr” with the kids (aged 8 and 11) on a day with deep snow and the bluest of skies and photographing what I have heard mentioned as “the most photographed nature spot in all of Great Britain” (realizing on the way that there is a hole in Avas rubber boot – fixing it with a plastic bag..). Overtaking three other hikers on the way up (tough kids) and being overtaken only by a man in running shorts (see pic)..
• Visiting the Dalwhinnie distillery.
• Harry Potter location spotting in Edinburgh
• Staying in a private apartment in Edinburgh and eating and drinking in the cozy old pubs.
See pics in album here.