Pics from our one-week 2022 winter holiday in London – including:
Natural History Museum
Day trip to Oxford
A visit to my English friend Martin in Beaconsfield incl. a table tennis match
Walking trip through colorful Brixton – including Electric Avenue and David Bowies birthplace
London by night
Wildlife Photo of The Year exhibition
Harry Potter Studio Tour (more info below).
Three musicals (Bob Marley, Lion King and Dear Evan Hansen).
Total expenses – 2 adults and 2 children USD 2.550 (for more detailed costs see last pic in album).
Check the photos in the album below.
PS – Be sure not to miss the pics of the Ginger Pig and the “horny man at the hay“ in the album..
Harry Potter Studio Tour – Leavesden, UK – Interesting facts:
• TripAdvisor has reported the tour to be the highest rated attraction world-wide since it opened in 2012
• Basically though ‘it’s just a museum’ ie. there are info screens, posters, requisites and (superb) film set locations to watch but no theme park rides (since Warner Bros sold the theme park rights to Universal Studios)
• Tickets are a steep: GBP 49,95 adult, GBP 39,95 child or GBP 159 Family (2+2). (perhaps this is the most expensive museum in the world?)
• Originally the site was an important centre for aircraft production during World War II. By the end of the war Leavesden Airfield was, by volume, the largest factory in the world. Later the site was acquired by Rolls-Royce.
• In the 1990s the buildings were leased (by Eon) to use as film studios and James Bond “Goldeneye”, Star Wars “The Phantom Meanace” etc were filmed here.
• From 2000-2010 all eight Harry Potter films were recorded (by Heyday Films/Warner Bros) in these studios.
• It takes almost two hours to get to the studios from central London with public transport (tube, train, bus).
• If you (like me) are not the biggest Harry Potter fan in the world you may think that the 3,5 hours most people use on the tour is a little too long – and that the 10-12 souvenir shops you will find along the way are a few too many… hehe – but it’s still nice and a great place for photography and Ava, Jonas and Charlotte who are big Harry Potter fans were pretty happy